As you journey into peri-menopause and menopause, you will notice many changes throughout your body. The most prominent being the changes in overall skin health. As estrogen levels decrease, your skin becomes gradually thinner and very dull. Menopause takes a toll on our hormone levels, specifically a decline in estrogen.
These changes of estrogen and progesterone can cause various symptoms that can creep up or happens so quickly we wonder what the heck is going on.
For some, our skin health can be alarming, with the drop of collagen levels leaving us with dull grey, crepey skin on both face and body. When this happens we lose the firmness and skin begins to sag, jowls appear, and permanent lines appear.
Studies show that women lose 30% of collagen during the first 5 years of menopause. Now half of this can be cared for with good skincare products, but we need to be realistic as well in that this cannot be repaired through products alone.
Here are some tips to managing your skin:
- Wear skincare everyday-broad spectrum with 30SPF or higher, be sure to apply to face, neck, hands these show tell tale signs of aging.
- Moisturize, Moisturize. We need a thirst quenching hydrating Skincare that contains hyaluronic acid, moringa, sunflower and/or avocado oil that maintain moisture. Phytonutrients and Vitamin C will plump skin and aid in collagen production. Omegas-6 acid found in sunflower seed oil will enhance the development of new skin cells, by stimulating cellular regeneration to promote elastin and collagen production. Use with damp fingers for better absorption.
- Don’t tan or tanning beds. I know we all look better with a sunkissed glow. But this accelerates aging, causing age spots, blotchy skin, and can cause skin Cancer. Wearing a hat also protects our dry brittle hair we experience in menopause.
- Shop Smart. People often think the more expensive the more effective. This is not always the case. There are more affordable products in the aisles of your local Drugstore.
- Give the product time to work. Sometimes when we don’t see immediate results we jump ship. Give the product time, at least 6 weeks, and sometimes up to 3 months.
What worked for you in your 30s, 40s, will not work for you in your 50s and 60s, knowing the needs of your menopausal skin, and what new ingredients your skin may need is very important in embracing the changes.
Love this new stage in life and give your body and skin the attention it needs.
For further help with skin challenges e-mail me at ask LeiLani email@example.com
“You can plan for a certain future and end up in a totally different place. In my case, although I didn’t change career fields, a big pivot created a business that changed my journey.
I never set out to have a business; through my pro bono work with burn/cancer/trauma surgeons, I was simply trying to solve a difficult problem for these patients. Little did I know that Sweet LeiLani Cosmetics would be one of first of its kind on the market, ahead of the curve in what clean beauty means for women today.”
A pioneer of clean beauty for 30 years. Sweet LeiLani Beauty was built around the desire to help people.