Ever thought of eating your way to gorgeous skin?
Nothing says more about your health and what you eat than your skin. Glowing, radiant skin shouts vitality, highlighting your dedication to taking good care of yourself through the 3 E’s – Exercise, Eating Clean and Emotional Self-care. Broccoli, salmon and blueberries are regulars on your plate.
But what does “glowing skin” mean to you?
Dr.Tina Funt says, “Glowing skin is skin that is moist and soft—not dull, dry or flaky. Glowing skin is characterized by small pores, even complexion and clear skin without blemishes.”
International cosmetic and skincare expert Bobbi Brown says, “Healthy skin is the canvas for beauty.”
The desire for great skin is an ageless one; it will never go out of style.Bobbi Brown
If you want glowing skin, what you eat counts. Here are seven glow inducing foods to help keep your skin radiant, free from inflammation and aging in reverse.
- Hydration – Skin and flowers have a lot in common. A flower thirsting for water droops, loses colour and dries out. It’s the same for your skin. Dehydration happens when you don’t drink the ideal 2-3 litres of water per day. Do a little test on your own skin to see if you are dehydrated. Press on the fleshy part of your forearm. When you lift your finger up, does the skin stay depressed? If so, it’s time to sip water.
- Collagen – Your skin is a whopping 37% collagen, the giant molecule that together with elastin, provides that dewy, cushiony texture of gorgeous skin. But as early as age 18 you begin to lose collagen, even more if you are constantly exposed to the sun. What can be done to restore collagen if anything? Drink collagen rich bone broth, made with a combination of long marrow bones, poultry wings, joints and chicken feet (these are super rich in collagen and elastin). Heat from cooking and apple cider vinegar pull these proteins from the bones and deliver them to you with every sip. Drink 1 cup of bone broth per day.
- Bio-active collagen – Many companies offer powdered collagen for sale however virtually all of these are a waste of money. Why? Collagen molecules are GIANT molecules that must be broken down into smaller bio-active peptides in order to be absorbed by your cells. Few collagen supplements offer this. A new collagen formula by Pharmanex, Beauty Focus Plus Collagen, comes in the ideal bioactive peptide format. Easily absorbed by your cells, this collagen can return your baseline collagen levels to 80%!! Looking and feeling younger next week is possible.
- Leafy greens and cruciferous veggies – Stinky, leafy veggies rule when it comes to gorgeous skin. Spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli and Brussels sprouts are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins that help create lovely skin capable of fighting aging and disease. Greens like these are high in Vitamin A and phytochemicals, nutrients necessary for combating acne, premature aging as well as maintaining strong, youthful skin. Eat 2-3 cups per day.
- Dark chocolate – Aren’t you glad you can eat your way to glowing skin with chocolate? There’s a caveat! Your chocolate choice must be at least 70 to 80% or higher, dark chocolate. Cocoa beans explode with antioxidants, necessary for reducing inflammation from exposure to sun and toxins. Your skin can’t help but glow with health as you savour this richly delicious treat. One or two small squares per day are sufficient to get your glow on.
- Fermented foods/probiotics – Fermentation happens when living organisms like bacteria and yeast convert sugars and starches into alcohol or acid. As food ferments, the healthy bacteria also called probiotics, help create beautiful skin. The key players in fermented foods also contain powerful antioxidants necessary for eliminating inflammation and supporting glowing skin. Healthy bacteria in the gut mean more beautiful skin. Eat ½ cup of sauerkraut, full fat plain yogurt or kefir, kimchi or lacto-fermented pickles per day.
- Watermelon & berries – These brightly coloured fruits contain a host of skin beautifying nutrients from the anti-inflammatory lycopene to potassium, vitamins A and B6, as well as citrulline, the amino acid needed to support strong circulation in the body. Berries sit at the top of the antioxidant tower, so full of these free radical fighters are they. Another berry secret is that they come with ellagic acid, a phytochemical responsible for protecting the skin against sun damage, wrinkling and sagging. Eat ½ cup to 1 cup mixed berries and/or watermelon per day.
Eating your way to gorgeous, glowing skin is as easy as opting for clean foods filled with hydrating, nourishing goodness. Look to your plate to start today.
BONUS GLOW TIP:
Flowers are fun to eat, providing a showiness to salads and other dishes. The beauty of blossoms goes as deep as their brilliant displays of colour, and beyond for they deliver essential fatty acids, minerals and enzymes. But flowers also contribute an ability to increase your positive, vibrational energy through their essential oils. When you are filled with this energy, it is hard to ignore your glow.
Stay Connected with Tosca